You may have a sinking feeling in your gut that tells you something’s wrong with your marriage and your spouse is cheating — but is it just paranoia?
Maybe — but, then again, over a third of married people admit that they’ve cheated on their spouse at some point. While that still doesn’t mean that your spouse is among them, it does mean that you should look for other signs he or she is straying:
- Your spouse has some sudden wardrobe changes. Whether it’s a forgotten wedding ring or a new bracelet that looks expensive, you have a reason to question what’s going on.
- He or she isn’t sticking to the usual routine, without any real explanation. If your spouse has suddenly gotten into fitness, for example, that could easily be explained by a recent medical scare. However, if your spouse is suddenly spending long hours at the gym with no noticeable improvement in his or her physique, that’s a cause for concern.
- Your spouse’s friends seem suddenly awkward around you and avoid you. They may know something you don’t and feel guilty about keeping your spouse’s secrets.
- Your spouse is spending an unusual amount of time on the computer or phone, where you can’t see what he or she is doing. Whether she’s on her phone while walking the dog or he’s sitting in the corner of the room where you can’t come up behind him as he types on the laptop, electronic secrecy is a big red flag.
- Your spouse won’t give you the password to his or her email account and his or her phone or computer suddenly has a lock on it. If your spouse has always been the secretive type, that may mean nothing — but if it’s new, that’s a definite warning sign.
- Your spouse is playing games with the finances. Any signs of unexplained spending, hidden credit cards or secret bank accounts signals a problem. If your spouse isn’t cheating, there are still serious trust issues developing.
If you confront your spouse and either gain an admission or don’t believe the answer, it may be time to seek professional help — whether from a counselor or an attorney. If you think that it may be time for a divorce, an attorney can help you learn how best to approach the situation in order to look out for your future.
Source: affaircare.com, “All Of The Signs Your Spouse May Be Cheating,” accessed Aug. 09, 2017