Jump to Navigation

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Subscribe To This Blog’s Feed FindLaw Network

Michigan child support enforcement methods

For many single parents raising their children, receiving a child support determination is simply the first step in their efforts to get help from the noncustodial parent. Sometimes, it is difficult to actually receive the support payments from the other parent, even though Michigan law uses fair and balanced means to determine the amount. If this should happen, it is the state's job to enforce the payment of child support.

In Michigan, the Office of Child Support can use any of the following child support enforcement methods and more to get the noncustodial parent to make payments.

-- Deducting or withholding income from the noncustodial parent's regular paychecks-- Issuing a levy or a lien against property the noncustodial parent may own-- Adding a surcharge to the amount of child support owed-- Reporting the arrearages to consumer credit reporting agencies-- Denying or revoking the noncustodial parent's passport-- Filing criminal charges against the noncustodial parent-- Intercepting the tax refunds of the noncustodial parent

In today's modern world with data packets traversing the country at the speed of light, it is almost impossible for someone to escape their child support obligations and still remain a functioning part of society. However, it does happen sometimes, and the custodial parent may be forced to take stronger measures in a Michigan court of law.

For any divorced parents reading this, hopefully you have reached a satisfactory agreement with your co-parent, but if not, the law can provide you with options to collect the financial support your child needs to thrive and grow. If you are not sure what your next step should be, a Detroit area family law attorney can offer you assistance.

Source: State of Michigan, Department of Human Services, "Enforcing Support" Nov. 26, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information